Swimming Pool Leak Detection and repair services - some advice
Some questions that you should be asked by someone experienced are below - If you don't get asked some of these then Move ON. Try to have the answers to some of the questions at hand as this will speed up the process -
With your pool pump running check the pool filter waste line plumbing. Your filter top ( MPV ) maybe leaking internally when it is in the Filter position and dumping pool water down the drain plumbing without you being aware. Check the drain where this pipe ends up if possible - it should be obvious. This may only be a small drip but adds up after a few hours / days. This only gets worse, get it sorted ASAP. A very common problem usually found on older systems. Check anyway.
- Is your pool leaking or is it Daily evaporation? if unsure, try the The Bucket Test 1st with the pump turned off and no rainfall or heavy winds in the forecast. You need dry, calm/stable weather for any kind of accuracy here. Watch the short video a few times.
- Is your pump or any other piece of equipment or plumbing in your pump room / box leaking? is there water evident on the floor etc? Detective work and standards required here. You could miss something very obvious.
- Do you have any air returning to the pool trough the return jets with the pump running. Unplug your pool cleaner and remove your vacuum plate from the skimmer box ( if you have 1 installed ) and then check. Obviously ensure that the pool water level is correct at this time. There should be no air bubbles returning to the pool if you have done the above and you have an air tight system.
- Does the pool lose water when the pump is running only? or does it lose water when the pump is OFF or ON?
- Make a mark on the pool shell and try to establish how much water the pool is losing over a 24 hour period. Measure this daily around the same time and record in mm. This gives a little indicator of what size leak we are looking for. This may not work in the rainy season of course. Dry time and stable conditions needed.
- You should be asked if your pool shell is ... concrete / fibreglass / plastic liner or a.n. other and the approximate age of this pool.
If you have the above info at hand go to our Contact us page, enter this info into the form and send to us, it will save us all some time.
Proper Pressure testing procedures must be followed to avoid injury or damages
When pressure testing swimming pool plumbing for leaks we Allways use water only to start with. Once you are sure that the PVC line under pressure is Leaking and not holding pressure we then remove the water supply and inject air into that line. The water under pressure that has escaped through the crack/s usually "pools" around the crack/s and when you inject air into the same pipe the air will get out at the same spot/s and you should/may hear a bubbling sound below the ground where the leak/s are eg. like using a straw and blowing air into a glass of water. It is very seldom that we need to take the injected pressure above 12PSI to establish a leak/s. Monitor the pressure gauge and do not stand in front of or above any pressure plugs or bungs that have been inserted. You could get hurt if they blow out. You need to stay ALERT and pay attention to ensure the Safety of everyone involved.
Take a look at this link for an interesting article and more information on Pool Leak detection.
Also take a look at this useful video that demonstrates good pool leak detection practises ....
Is your swimming pool leaking? or is it daily evaporation?
The "Bucket Test" - do this test 1st if the Pool leak is not obvious. A short helpful video is below ....
Is your Pool leaking? or is it daily evaporation?
Pressure Testing swimming pool plumbing - the suction line was leaking on this pool
Injecting Air into a leaking pool return line - following pressure testing with water.
Plant root damage caused the break in this pool plumbing line
The Latest pool leak detection equipment
What not to do! - just Smile!!!